Northeastern State University and its predecessor the Cherokee Female Seminary have offered students courses in business and technology since 1867 under the title of “Practical Arts.” In 1909, during its first year as a state institution, all students were required to take two “Commercial” courses as a part of their program of study. The first Commercial Department was organized in 1924, and the College of Business and Industry was formed in 1974, the same year NSU became a university. The College of Business & Technology has a long history of serving the needs of students and employers in this region.
Today, the College of Business & Technology continues to offer programs tied to the needs of the business community. New programs, such as Supply Chain Management and the Master of Science in Accounting & Financial Management, are developed to meet the current needs of the business community in northeastern Oklahoma. At the same time, existing programs are being continuously adapted to reflect the new skills necessary in a competitive global environment. An advisory board, the Dean’s Advisory Council made of up of 25 senior managers from this region help to insure that our future will be as bright as our past.