Private Music Lessons
Individual instruction is one of the best ways to make progress in your musical studies. Private lessons are available for most instruments and voice. Weekly lessons may be scheduled for 30, 45, or 60 minutes.
Beginners, intermediate,and advanced music students of any age are welcome to sign up for quality music instruction through NSU's Community Music Academy. Individual, one - on -one music instruction is offered on a weekly basis on most instruments and for voice. Instructors in the CMA include NSU music faculty, community music instructors, and NSU music students. Weekly lessons may be scheduled for 30, 45, or 60 minutes.
You will need to provide your own instrument, except in the case of piano. Percussionists will need to provide their own sticks and mallets.
- We can always teach via Zoom. It's not idea., but we can do it.
- Masks should be worn by teachers and students when possible. (ie. flutes, clarinets, trumpets etc. can't be played while wearing a mask.
- Lessons should be held in the largest rooms possible.
- Windows should be opened when possible in rooms.
- Hand sanitizer should be available in every room.
- Keyboards and other shared equipment should be cleaned after every student.
- No parents and siblings etc. ware allowed in the building. Only those taking lessons are allowed in the building.
Registration and Payment
Students will receive 16 lessons per semester. The CMA lesson schedule follows the NSU 16 week academic calendar. January will have 3 lessons, Feb. 4 lessons, Mar. 4 lessons, Apr. 4 lessons and May will have 1 lesson. Please purchase private lessons by the month via our online payment system. Students will have until the 5th of each month to purchase that month's lessons.
New students MUST consult and register with Dr. Ronald Chioldi, Director of the Community Music Academy, on which type of lesson you want to enroll in so he can determine the best instructor to fit your needs before you purchase any private lessons.
When students sign up for lessons, our instructors dedicate that lesson time to that student. We appreciate your commitment to showing up for lessons on time. Please use your purchased lessons within the same month they were purchased. When you purchase a month of lessons, you are paying for the opportunity to attend, we are not able to refund for lessons not attended. Please contact your instructor if you are unable to attend a lesson.
Contact us for assistance or questions regarding registration and payment.
Age: All ages are welcome. Generally, children can begin one-on-one lessons when they are able to read somewhat confidently, i.e. age 6, 7, or 8.
Term: Jan.11 through May 7. 2021. Jan. : 3 lessons, Feb 4 lessons, Mar. 4 lessons, Apr. 4 lessons, May 1 lesson.
Students will receive four lessons per month for September, October, and November. August and December have 2 lessons. There will be no lessons or classes the week of thanksgiving, Nov. 23 - 27, 2020.
CMA Recital: Sunday, De. 13, 2020.
Days and Time: Monday through Saturday as arranged by Dr. Chioldi, Director of the Community Music Academy, with his instructors. Times and days are dependent upon the individual instructor's schedule and studio availability. Contact Dr. Ronald Chioldi with questions.
Fine Arts building, Northeastern State University, 605 N Grand Ave., Tahlequah, OK 74464-2302
Jazz Lab, 315 N Muskogee Ave., Tahlequah, OK 74464-2737
Instructors and Tuition
Tuition is determined by instructor type and lesson length. Tuition does not include printed music.
- Undergraduate Instructor is generally a junior or senior music education major with training in music pedagogy. They work under direct supervision of a mentor teacher and with the Director of the Community Music Academy.
- Instructor is a community member or NSU faculty member without a terminal degree
- NSU Faculty Instructor is a current NSU music faculty member with a terminal degree, or a doctorate
Undergraduate Instructor Tuition
- 30-minute lesson: $60.00 USD monthly
- 45-minute lesson: $88.00 USD monthly
- 60-minute lesson: $112.00 USD monthly
- 30-minute lesson: $80.00 USD monthly
- 45-minute lesson: $112.00 USD monthly
- 60-minute lesson: $144.00 USD monthly
NSU Faculty Instructor Tuition
- 30-minute lesson: $100.00 USD monthly
- 45-minute lesson: $140.00 USD monthly
- 60-minute lesson: $180.00 USD monthly