Do you enjoy helping others? Are you interested in leadership? Are you working in a college or university and wish to advance your career? Have you considered getting a graduate degree? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then consider pursuing your Master of Science degree in Higher Education Leadership (HIEDL) at Northeastern State University! This program is designed to prepare graduates for leadership roles in college and university settings, tribal, community, and state and national organizations. Students may choose from interest areas in Student Affairs or American Indian Leadership. You are the priority in this 36 credit hour program, where blended and online classes allow you more time with your family and your career.
The mission of the M.S. in Leadership program is to prepare graduates who have the professional knowledge and skills to be effective leaders who are committed to service, excellence, and collaboration, and who are, and who in turn, inspire and empower individuals within their realm of influence to be caring, socially responsible citizens.
The Goals of the Master of Science in Higher Education Leadership are:
- to provide leaders with the vital knowledge and skills to be effective leaders in today’s complex world; leaders who are committed to service, fairness, equity, and cross-disciplinary collaboration in diverse communities and the global venue.
- to empower leaders to be change agents who creatively solve leadership challenges in a complex, interdependent world.
- to prepare leaders who think critically, communicate clearly, analyze and apply research judiciously, collaborate ethically, and act decisively toward the best achievable outcomes.
- to facilitate professional growth and commitment to life-long learning.
- Synthesize the knowledge and skills to be an effective leader.
- Exhibit respect and preserve the dignity of others.
- Exhibit a commitment to service and to collaborate in diverse communities.
- Exhibit the ability to be a change agent who can creatively solve leadership challenges.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically think and communicate clearly.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and apply research.
- Demonstrate the ability to collaborate ethically towards achievable outcomes.
- Exhibit a commitment to professional growth and life-long learning.
Program Admission Requirements
- Be admitted to the NSU Graduate College.
- Take and have a satisfactory score on either the MAT or GRE.
- Three sealed letters of recommendations from professional or academic sources.
- A Leadership Philosophy: long term career goals: and a master's degree will facilitate the stated goals. (See Statement of Understanding for specific guidelines)
- All college transcripts
- Program Admission form with personal information provided by the applicant.