Transfer Music Students

Transferring to NSU

jazz_workshopTransferring from a community college

Many current students and alumni of the NSU music department began their studies at community colleges. The faculty and staff of our department strive to make the transition from a 2-year program to a bachelor's degree in music seamless and straightforward.

Academic Standing

Students who have completed an associate's degree at a community college in Oklahoma are considered to have have completed the NSU general education requirements with the exception of MUS 2863 World Music, which must be taken by all music majors. All students in the Bachelor of Music Education and Bachelor of Arts in Music (Performance and Jazz Studies & Commercial Music) must perform a junior-standing jury on the major instrument in order to be allowed to register for 4000 level applied lessons. Transfer students may arrange to play this jury before the semester begins. Contact the appropriate area coordinator (listed at the bottom of this page) well in advance to schedule this jury.

wind_ensembleDegrees Offered

NSU offers the Bachelor of Music Education degree, as well as the professional degrees Bachelor of Arts in Music in Performance and Jazz Studies & Commercial Music. It also offers the liberal arts degrees Bachelor of Arts in Musical Arts and Musical Business. More information on specific degree plans can be found under the Degree Programs tab on the left.


Numerous music scholarships are available for transfer students, including scholarships from the band, jazz, vocal, and keyboard areas. Scholarships are based on the results of the entrance audition. For more information on music scholarships, contact the area coordinator for your voice or instrument.

Applied Study

All music majors at NSU must enroll in private lessons on their major instrument or voice for an assigned number of semesters, depending on their degree plan. Students who are attending a community college that offers applied music instruction should participate in such study. Students who attend a college that does not offer applied music instruction are advised to seek private instruction from a local instructor in preparation for the private lessons they will be required to take at Northeastern State University. NSU music faculty members are happy to recommend a local instructor in your area.


Transfer students, like all other students at NSU, are eligible to audition for and participate in any large or small ensembles.

Academic Music Courses

When you audition at NSU, you will be given placement tests to determine what academic music courses are best suited for your background and experience.

Students who have taken Music Theory or Piano courses at other institutions should consult the Transfer Guides below to prepare for the required placement exams for these courses. All files are in PDF format; If you do not have a PDF reader, you can download Adobe Reader software for free here.


It is recommended that all transfer students contact an appropriate NSU faculty member prior to auditioning or enrolling in courses at NSU. NSU faculty members are the best source of information in advising you in the transfer process.

For other questions, please contact the coordinator for your area:

Bands/Instrumental: Dr. Anne Watson
Choral/Vocal: Dr. Jeffery Wall
Jazz Studies & Commercial Music: Dr. Clark Gibson
Piano/Organ: Dr. Ronald Chioldi