The purpose of the online M.Ed. in Science Education program is to enable K-12 teachers to become highly qualified teachers of science. The program requirements meet the needs of teachers who hold bachelor degrees in secondary science education, a science discipline, mathematics, elementary education, early childhood education or special education and teachers who hold alternative certification. The program consists of 15 hours of professional education core, 15 hours of science content core, and six hours of capstone.
All courses are available in an online format that meets the needs of teachers who are working full time. Courses include a variety of instructional activities including student presentations, group projects, online video lectures, student analysis of online resources, discussion boards and opportunities for direct interaction with the Instructor via the Internet. The science content courses provide inquiry-based instruction through hands-on inquiries, online simulations, and online data sources.
The Master of Education in Science Education is administered through the Gregg Wadley College of Science & Health Professions.
Online STEM Education Certificate
The NSU STEM Education certificate is designed to improve educators’ content knowledge in STEM subject areas and develop the instructional skills essential for highly-qualified STEM professionals. Educators will build knowledge of 21st Century Skills to implement innovative pedagogy; improve instructional effectiveness and create experiential-based classroom learning opportunities.STEM Education Certificate Information.
Request Information Form
Beginning in fall 2013, graduate students in our M.Ed. in Science Education program can also earn a STEM Endeavor Certificate from Columbia Teachers College. All courses taken in the certificate program will also count toward the M.Ed. Science Education. The Certificate program is a collaboration between U.S. Satellite Laboratory and Columbia Teachers College. The courses were developed through a grant to the U.S. Satellite Laboratory from NASA. For more information, visit Endeavor Cohort.
TEACH Grant Funds
TEACH Grant funds are available for qualified graduate students. For more information, visit Financial Aid Grant Information.
Admission to the Program
Before being admitted to the program, students must be admitted to the Graduate College. Online admission is available at the Graduate College web page. When you apply to the Graduate College, declare Science Education as your major. You will then be assigned an advisor for the program.
The minimum requirements for regular admission to the Graduate College are:
- An earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A grade point average of at least 2.5 based on a 4.0 scale on all undergraduate course work attempted.
- Proof of citizenship for a U.S. citizen born outside of the United States and for a resident alien. An international applicant for whom English was their first language and is the spoken language in the home must sign a statement to that effect.
The following additional prerequisites must be met before admission to the Science Education M.Ed. program:
- Have an earned grade point average of at least 3.0 based on a 4.0 system for the last 60 hours of course work attempted at either the undergraduate or graduate level; or attained a scale score of 383 or more on the Miller Analogies Text; or attained a score of 288 (verbal plus quantitative) or more on the Graduate Record Examination.
- Hold or be eligible for a standard teaching certificate or teaching license, or be accepted by the state for the alternative certification program.
- Submit an application form that includes an essay addressing the individual’s teaching philosophy, personal goals, and career goals.
- File a Degree Plan and sign a Statement of Understanding for this program.
Admission decisions are based upon the evaluation of all application materials submitted by the individual.
For more information contact Dr. Pamela Christol at firstname.lastname@example.org or 918-449-6539.