Careers in Political Science
Students who graduate with a degree in political science can pursue a variety of career paths. There are opportunities for government service at the federal, state, local and tribal levels. Political science is an excellent major for those interested in law school because of courses in constitutional law and political theory. The political science curriculum also includes courses in public administration, national institutions, and international politics, which can prepare students for public service on the national or international levels. There are also a wide variety of employment opportunities for political science graduates in the private sector. Interest groups and business organizations frequently employ political scientists in lobbying and governmental relations; political science graduates have also applied their skills in areas such as public relations, marketing, advertising, personnel, banking and finance.
The American Political Science Association provides more information about careers in political science and public administration.
Graduate and Professional Schools
For many students, the political science major provides the foundation for a career that will involve further study at the graduate level. Thus, many political science graduates have gone on to do graduate work in political science or public administration. Law school is also an option that is pursued by political science graduates. The Political Science program at NSU offers a variety of courses to prepare students for graduate school.
The Political Science faculty will be glad to discuss the opportunities that are provided by graduate education and to assist students in selecting an appropriate graduate or professional school.
NSU Political Science graduate Kimberly Teehee with President Obama in the Oval Office while serving as his Senior Policy Adviser on Native American Affairs.
Examples of Careers for Political Scientists
- Administration, Corporate, Government, Non-Profit, etc.
- Corporation Legislative Issues Manager
- Archivist, Online Political Data
- Customs Officer
- Management Analyst
- Budget Examiner or Analyst
- Editor, Online Political Journal
- Plans and Review Officer, USIA
- Banking Analyst or Executive
- Federal Government Analyst
- Policy Analyst
- Campaign Operative
- Financial Consultant
- Political Commentator
- Career Counselor
- Foreign Service Officer
- CIA Analyst or Agent
- Foundation President
- Public Affairs Research Analyst
- City Planner
- Free-lance writer
- Public Opinion Analyst
- City Housing Administrator
- High School Government Teacher
- Congressional Office/Committee Staffer
- Immigration Officer
- Research Analyst
- Coordinator of Federal or State Aid
- Information Manager
- State Legislator
- Communications Director
- Intelligence Officer
- Survey Analyst
- Corporate Analyst
- International Agency Officer
- Systems Analyst
- Corporate Public Affairs Adviser
- International Research Specialist
- Corporate Economist
- Issues Analyst, Corporate Social Policy Div.
- University Administrator
- Corporate Manager
- University Professor
- Corporate Information Analyst
- Juvenile Justice Specialist
- Urban Policy Planner
- Corporate Adviser for Governmental Relations
- Labor Relations Specialist
- Web Content Editor