Criminal Justice: Legal Studies Option

Criminal Justice: Legal Studies Option

Plan of Study

Associate in Arts in Criminal Justice
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies Option

The Criminal Justice & Legal Studies Program offers the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice.  Students may choose from three options:  (1) Criminal Justice Studies, (2) Legal Studies, or (3) Homeland Security.  These options are also available as minors.  The Criminal Justice and Legal Studies degrees are offered on both the Tahlequah and Broken Arrow campuses.  A selection of courses in the Homeland Security Option is available online; however, the major is offered in its entirety on the Broken Arrow campus.

The Legal Studies major provides a diversified background in the various disciplines necessary for success in the fields of civil or criminal justice. New opportunities are continuously emerging for Paralegals within the legal and business communities.  Our graduates are employed in law firms of all sizes, state and federal courthouses, corporations and other business associations, banks and trust companies, educational institutions and local, state and federal government agencies.  Paralegal graduates also find employment within the criminal justice system. The Legal Studies degree provides an excellent academic foundation for students wishing to pursue the Juris Doctorate or other higher education degree.

Transferring to NSU is a seamless process.  Although you can transfer to NSU at any time in your academic career, the smoothest transition occurs if you have earned or will earn an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science from CASC.  This milestone will also meet your general education requirements at NSU (unless it is a specific NSU requirement for you to graduate).

What it takes to complete a degree in Legal Studies from NSU.  If you do not complete your A.A or A.S. at CASC, you will need to meet NSU’s specific general education requirements.  You must complete at least 124 hours to earn your degree.  Of those hours, 60 must be from a university (4 year school), 40 must be junior or senior (3000/4000) level, and half of the hours in your major must be completed through NSU.  You must also meet English and computer proficiency requirements.  This means that you must pass English composition I and II with a “C” or better and pass the designated computer proficiency class.  Therefore, when you transfer to NSU, you will likely need to complete around 60 more hours in order to earn your four year degree.

How do my CASC classes transfer to NSU?  Every class that you have completed at CASC will transfer to NSU.  Each class will count as either general education, major, minor, or free elective credit.  A minor is 18 hours from an academic area of your choice and it is designed to compliment your major.  Your advisor will help you determine your minor and the classes required to complete it.  Free electives are extremely flexible and can be selected from any academic area.  They allow you to explore your academic interests outside of your major while counting toward the 124 hours you need to graduate.  Most degree programs at NSU allow for some free electives.  Any class completed at CASC that does not count toward general education, major or minor credit will qualify as free elective credit, up to 64 hours.  If you have completed more than 64 hours at the associate degree level, all courses will transfer to NSU, but only 64 hours will apply to your degree.  This is because you must complete 60 hours from a four-year institution to meet state requirements for graduation with a baccalaureate degree.  In addition, students may transfer a 1/2000 level course into a 3/4000 level course.  However, the transfer will count for the content of the course only and will not count toward the 40 hour requirement of 3/4000 level courses.  For example, a student may transfer CJ 2013 Criminal Law I from CASC as CR J 3013 Criminal Law I at NSU.  The transfer covers the content of the course, but will not deduct hours from the 3/4000 level requirement. Students must actually take 3/4000 level courses to count toward that requirement.

When can you start taking NSU classes?  You can begin taking classes at NSU while you are completing your A.A. or A.S. at CASC.  This is called dual enrollment, many students do this each semester.  Consult an NSU academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to see how dual enrollment can work for you.

For more information visit the course sequence.

Contact Transfer Student Services to make your transition to NSU as smooth and seamless as possible.

Carl Albert and NSU Smart Choice