Plan of Study
Education, Early Childhood - Bachelor of Science
College of Education, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Students wishing to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education must meet the following requirements: Student will have completed a minimum 45 hours and have a 2.75 overall Grade Point Average; require all potential teacher education majors to show verification that they have taken or are registered to take the OGET (Oklahoma General Education Test) prior to attending EDUC 3313 ... even if scores are not back prior to classes beginning. Students may complete either an Associate of Science or Arts. Within their Associate’s degree, students should complete the required prerequisites for their major.
All Early Childhood Education majors must complete the 4 x 12 requirements. Students will complete 12 hours in 4 areas: Communication Arts, Social Sciences, Math, and Science. In each course of the 4 x 12, students must receive a grade of “C” or better.
Communication Arts (12 Hours Required)
- ENGL 1113 Freshmen Composition I
- ENGL 1213 Freshmen Composition II
- SPCH 1113 Fundamentals of Speech
- Any three (3) hour course in the departments of English, Literature or Speech (prefix must be ENGL OR SPCH)
Social Sciences (12 Hours Required)
- PSYC 1113 Introduction to Psychology
- HIST 1483 American History to 1877 or HIST 1493 History Since 1877
- POLSC 1113 American Federal Government
- Any three (3) hour course in the departments of Geography, History, Social Sciences, Economics, Political Science or Psychology. Northeastern State University recommends students take GEOG 2013 Introduction to Human Geography
Mathematics (12 Hours Required)
- MATH 1513 College Algebra
- The other nine hours will be completed in the major requirements.
Science (12 Hours Required)
- PHYSC 1114 Physical Science
- BIOL 1114 General Biology
- The other four hours will be completed in major requirements.
- All courses will be completed as part of general education requirements. All courses require a grade of “C” or better. Zero level courses will not be accepted to fulfill 4x12 requirements.
Language other than English (3 Hours Required)
- All Education majors are required to complete a three hour course in a language other than English.
NSU Course Sequence
Note: All students must have completed 45 hours of General Education before enrolling in Semester 1 Block and maintain a minimum grade point average of at least a 2.5.
For more information view Course Sequence.