TCC to NSUBA Political Science - Public Administration

Political Science - Public Administration

Plan of Study

TCC Associate in Arts in Political Science
NSU Bachelor of Arts in Political Science- Public Administration Option

The Political Science program at NSU offers a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science as well as a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science with an emphasis in Public Administration. These programs are offered on both the Tahlequah and Broken Arrow campuses. In addition to a diverse set of core courses and electives in Political Science and Public Administration, we have active, student-led delegations in both the Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature and Model United Nations. The program also encourages and facilitates our students to engage in civic and service-learning activities including providing degree credit in a public service internship. The Political Science and Public Administration degrees equip our graduates for careers in a variety of occupations ranging from local, state, and national government to public/governmental relations to political campaigns and serve as excellent preparation of a variety of graduate programs, including law school.

Transferring to NSU is a seamless process. Although you can transfer to NSU at any time in your academic career, the smoothest transition occurs if you have earned or will earn an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science from TCC. This milestone will also meet your general education requirements for the Political Science major at NSU. In addition to general education requirements obtaining an Associate in Arts degree in Political Science from TCC will provide 12 hours of the required Political Science core.

What it takes to complete a B.A. in Political Science from NSU. If you don’t complete your A.A. or A.S. at TCC, you will need to meet NSU’s specific general education requirements. You must have at least 124 hours completed to earn a B.A. in Political Science. Of those hours, 60 must be from a four-year college or university, 40 must be junior and senior (3000/4000) level, and half of the hours in your major must be from NSU. You must be English proficient; this means that you must pass English composition I and II with a “C” or better. Therefore, when you transfer to NSU, you will likely need to complete around 60 more hours in order to earn your B.A. in Political Science. Specifically, the Political Science major requires 18 hours in core courses, 6 hours in American institutions and politics, 3 hours in political theory, 6 hours in international relations and comparative politics, and 3 elective hours in POLS. Public Administration has the same core courses, but focuses the remaining 18 hours in public administration topics. Both majors require the completion of an 18 hour minor in another discipline of your choice.

How do my TCC classes transfer to NSU? Every class that you have taken at TCC will transfer to NSU. Each class will count in one of the following categories that make up a bachelor’s degree: general education, major, minor, or free elective. You probably already know about general education and major classes but minors and free electives are unique to bachelor’s degrees. A minor is 18 hours from an academic area of your choice, and it is designed to complement your major. Your advisor will help you determine your minor and the classes you will take to complete it. Free electives are extremely flexible and can be selected from any academic area. They allow you to explore your academic interests outside of your major while counting toward the 124 hours you need to graduate. Most degree programs at NSU allow for some free electives. If you completed a class at TCC that does not meet one of the other specific requirements, it will count in this category, up to 64 hours. If you have completed more than 64 hours at the associate degree level, all courses will transfer to NSU, but only 64 hours will apply to your degree. This is because you must have 60 hours from a four-year institution to meet state requirements for graduation with a baccalaureate degree.

When can you start taking NSU classes? You can begin taking classes at NSU while you are completing your A.A. or A.S. at TCC. This is called dual enrollment, many students do this each semester. Consult an NSU academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to see how dual enrollment can work for you.  

For more information view Course Sequence.

Contact Transfer Student Services to make your transition to NSU as smooth and seamless as possible.

Tulsa Community College to NSU, Smart Choice