TCC to NSUBA Special Education

Special Education

Plan of Study

TCC Associates of Arts in Elementary Education

NSU BS ED (Bachelor of Science in Education, Mild/Moderate Emphasis) Special Education

The Special Education major provides a diversified background in the various disciplines necessary for success in the field of education, with an emphasis in mild/moderate disabilities. Teacher education in Special Education, Elementary Education, and Early Childhood Education is the primary focus of the Department of Curriculum and Instruction. Students gain extensive field experiences prior to intern teaching beginning with their first education class. A strong emphasis is placed on active learning in the Special Education degree programs. Faculty will assist students in acquiring a solid theoretical base and provide students with opportunities for practical application of theory within public school settings. The special education degree at NSU is in mild/moderate disabilities. This certificate/degree is inclusive of all areas of Special Education for the mild/moderate level of severity and for ages pre-kindergarten through high school, leading to an Oklahoma Special Education certificate. With guidance from an academic advisor, students choosing the Special Education major complete the major requirements by selecting courses which best meet their academic and career objectives in accordance with their degree plan.

Successful completion of the OGET. The Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Special Education degree plan includes minimum course requirements. However, there are additional requirements for full admission to and continued participation in NSU’s Teacher Education Program. One of these requirements is successful completion of the Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET). It is recommended that students complete the OGET prior to transferring to NSU.

Transferring to NSU is a seamless process. Although you can transfer to NSU at any time in your academic career, the smoothest transition occurs if you have earned or will earn an AA or AS from TCC. This milestone will also meet your general education requirements at NSU (unless it is a specific NSU requirement for you to graduate).

If you don’t complete your AA or AS at TCC, you will need to meet NSU’s specific general education requirements. You must have at least 124 hours completed to earn a BS in ED. Of those hours, 60 must be from a university (4 year school), 40 must be junior and senior (3000/4000) level, and half of the hours in your major must be from NSU. You must also be both English and computer proficient. This means that you must pass English comp I & II with a “C” or better and pass the designated computer proficiency class. Therefore, when you transfer to NSU, you will likely need to complete around 60 more hours in order to earn your BS in ED.

How do my TCC classes transfer to NSU? Every class that you have taken at TCC will transfer to NSU. Each class will count in one of the following categories that make up a bachelor’s degree: general education, major, minor, or free elective. You probably already know about general education and major classes but minors and free electives are unique to bachelor’s degrees. Free electives are extremely flexible and can be selected from any academic area. They allow you to explore your academic interests outside of your major while counting toward the 124 hours you need to graduate. Most degree programs at NSU allow for some free electives. If you completed a class at TCC that does not meet one of the other specific requirements, it will count in this category, up to the first 64 hours. If you have completed more than 64 hours at the associate degree level, all courses will transfer to NSU, but only the first 64 hours will apply to your degree. Education majors must complete 12 hours with a C or better in the following disciplines: 12 hours in science, 12 hours in math, 12 hours in social science, and 12 hours in communication arts. Completing your AS or AA, combined with classes required in the major will satisfy most of these hours. Therefore you must take 3 hours of additional communication arts (ENGL, LIT, or SPCH) to satisfy this requirement. These 3 hours are in addition to English Comp I &II, and Introduction to Speech. Also, education majors are required to take 3 hours of a language other than English or to demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English. Your NSU advisor or your TCC advisor can recommend a class to satisfy this State requirement.

When can you start taking NSU classes? You can begin taking classes at NSU while you are completing your AA or AS at TCC. This is called dual enrollment, many students do this each semester. Consult an NSU academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to see how dual enrollment can work for you.

NOTE: For admission to College of Education, students must have completed (45) credit hours with a minimum GPA of 2.75. Students failing to meet these admission requirements will be limited in the education classes they may take until all requirements are completed. Students in all education programs must read and sign the College of Education Statement of Understanding. This will be accomplished with advisement from your NSU advisor.

For more information view Course Sequence.

Tulsa Community College to NSU, Smart Choice