TCC to NSU Tahlequah English


Plan of Study

TCC Associate in Arts in English
NSU Bachelor of Arts in English

The Bachelor of Arts English major is designed to provide a quality undergraduate program in English in the areas of literature, composition, and language usage. The degree provides a generalist program that prepares the student for entry into the professional world. The Languages and Literature English unit is committed to departmental goals as well as specific English unit goals: in literature and composition/rhetoric focusing on the cultivation of scholarship, critical thinking, writing competence, and promotion of a devotion to literature and the use of written language. The degree provides a foundation to produce educated graduates with strong English language and literature experience who can become valuable citizens in their communities and serve as a resource in their communities. The English major is a unit of the Department of Languages and Literature.

The faculty of the Department of Languages and Literature is committed to the following general goals:

  1. the cultivation of scholarship, critical thinking, and competence for faculty and students in the diverse areas of its purview.
  2. attracting, developing, and retaining the most outstanding faculty we can find to serve our students in their learning experience
  3. promulgating a profound devotion to excellence in the study and application in teaching of languages and literature.

Transferring to NSU is a seamless process. Although you can transfer to NSU at any time in your academic career, the smoothest transition occurs if you have earned or will earn an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science from TCC. This milestone will also meet your general education requirements at NSU (unless it is a specific NSU requirement for you to graduate). Within you're A.A. or A.S., make sure you complete the following classes because they are general education requirements for the English program: ENGL 1113- English Composition I and ENGL 1213- English Composition II both with a grade of "C" or better.

What it takes to complete a BA from NSU. If you don't complete your A.A. or A.S. at TCC, you will need to meet NSU's specific general education requirements. You must have at least 124 hours completed to earn a B.A. Of those hours, 60 must be from a university (4 year school), 40 must be junior and senior (3000/4000) level, and half of the hours in your major must be from NSU. You must also be both English and computer proficient. This means that you must pass English composition I and II with a "C" or better and pass the designated computer proficiency class. Therefore, when you transfer to NSU, you will likely need to complete around 60 more hours in order to earn your B.A.

How do my TCC classes transfer to NSU? Every class that you have taken at TCC will transfer to NSU. Each class will count in one of the following categories that make up a bachelor's degree: general education, major, minor, or free elective. You probably already know about general education and major classes but minors and free electives are unique to bachelor's degrees. A minor is 18 hours from an academic area of your choice and it is designed to complement your major. Your advisor will help you determine your minor and the classes you will take to complete it. Free electives are extremely flexible and can be selected from any academic area. They allow you to explore your academic interests outside of your major while counting toward the 124 hours you need to graduate. Most degree programs at NSU allow for some free electives. If you completed a class at TCC that does not meet one of the other specific requirements, it will count in this category, up to 64 hours. If you have completed more than 64 hours at the associate degree level, all courses will transfer to NSU, but only 64 hours will apply to your degree. This is because you must have 60 hours from a four-year institution to meet state requirements for graduation with a baccalaureate degree.

When can you start taking NSU classes? You can begin taking classes at NSU while you are completing your A.A. at TCC. This is called dual enrollment, many students do this each semester. Consult an NSU academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to see how dual enrollment can work for you. However, be aware that 2000 level courses taken at TCC which are equivalent to 3000 level courses at NSU will count toward degree requirements, but students must still meet the 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses with at least half of the major at the 3000/4000 level.

NOTE: Within two weeks of declaring a major in English, students will be asked to write a diagnostic essay on a set topic. The essay will be kept on file in the department and will allow exit analysis of skills and competency gained during the major.

Contact Transfer Student Services to make your transition to NSU as smooth and seamless as possible.

For more information view Course Sequence.

Tulsa Community College to NSU, Smart Choice