TCC to NSU Tahlequah: Mathematics Education

Contact Transfer Student Services to make your transition to NSU as smooth and seamless as possible.

TCC Associate of Science in Mathematics to NSU Tahlequah Bachelor of Science in Mathematics Education

Tulsa Community College to NSU, Smart Choice

Major FAQs

NSU BS. Ed – Mathematics Education: The Secondary Mathematics Education major prepares students to become Grade 6 -12 math teachers. Students gain extensive field experiences prior to intern teaching beginning with their first education class. A strong emphasis is placed on inquiry-based instruction. Faculty assist students in acquiring a solid theoretical base and provide students with opportunities for practical application of theory within public school settings.

Major guidelines / regulations: Mathematics Education majors completing NSU’s program meet state certification and licensure requirements as they progress through program. These include:

  • Foreign Language Competency: All teacher candidates must demonstrate proficiency at the high novice level in a language other than English. Your advisor can recommend a class to satisfy this state requirement
  • PSY 1113: All candidates are required to take PSY 1113, Introduction to Psychology.
  • Portfolio: All students pursuing teacher certification are required to develop a portfolio which documents their accomplishments, learning, and strengths related to the competencies, standards, and outcomes established by the Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, and the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
  • Certification Testing: At intervals within the program, teacher candidates complete portions of the certification test. For admission to teacher education, students must pass the Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET). Teacher candidates must also pass an Oklahoma Subject Area Test (OSAT: Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, or Physics) before their full internship. Successful completion of the Oklahoma Professional Teaching Examination (OPTE) is encouraged, but is not required for continued participation in our Teacher Education Program.
  • GPA / Course Grades: Education majors must complete all science and education courses with a C or better. In addition, students must maintain a 2.5 overall GPA and a 2.5 in all science and statistics courses and in all education courses.

What it takes to complete a BS. Ed. in Mathematics Education from NSU. If you don’t complete your AA at TCC, you will need to meet NSU’s specific general education requirements. You must have at least 124 hours completed to earn a BS Ed. Of those hours, 60 must be from a university (4 year school), 40 must be junior and senior (3000/4000) level, and half of the hours in your major must be from NSU. You must also be both English and computer proficient. This means that you must pass English Composition I & II with a “C” or better and demonstrate computer proficiency (high school or college course work / test). Therefore, when you transfer to NSU, you will likely need to complete around 60 more hours in order to earn your BS Ed degree.

General FAQs

Transferring to NSU is a seamless process. Although you can transfer to NSU at any time in your academic career, the smoothest transition occurs if you have earned or will earn an AA or AS from TCC. This milestone will also meet your general education requirements at NSU (unless it is a specific NSU requirement for you to graduate).

How do my Tulsa Community Colleges classes transfer to NSU? Every class you take at TCC will transfer to NSU. Each class counts in one of the following categories that make up a bachelor’s degree: general education, major, minor, or free elective. Minors (18 hours) are a coherent set of courses in a discipline or interdisciplinary grouping other than a student's degree program. Education programs do NOT require minors. Free electives can be selected from any academic area. They allow you to explore academic interests outside of your major while counting toward the 124 hours you need to graduate. If you completed a class at TCC that does not meet one of the other specific requirements, it will count as a free elective, up to the first 64 hours. If you complete more than 64 hours at the associate degree level, all courses will transfer to NSU, but only the first 64 hours will apply to your degree. You must have 60 hours from a four-year institution to meet state requirements for graduation with a baccalaureate degree.

When can you start taking NSU classes? You can begin taking classes at NSU while you are completing your AA or AS at TCC. This is called dual enrollment; many students do this each semester. Consult an NSU academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to see how dual enrollment can work for you.