TCC to NSU Tahlequah: Nutritional Sciences – Dietetics

TCC Associate of Science in Nutritional Sciences to NSU Tahlequah Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Sciences – Dietetics

Contact Transfer Student Services to make your transition to NSU as smooth and seamless as possible.

Tulsa Community College to NSU, Smart Choice

Major FAQs

NSU B.S. Nutritional Sciences - Dietetics: Students who desire a career that is exciting, challenging, and allows one to succeed, excel, and feel good about what is done, then they should consider the field of dietetics. Dietetics is the high-tech science of applying food and nutrition principles to personal and community health. It's a vital, growing field open to creativity and opportunity. The possibilities are endless.

The field of dietetics has something to offer all health care consumers. The Registered Dietitian is the only nationally recognized credential in foods, nutrition, and dietetics, and is recognized as the nutrition expert in health care, nutritional counseling, food production, sales, and the media. Most employment in the health care industry requires the R.D. credential.

Major guidelines / regulations:

  • The NSU Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) is the first step in the three step process of becoming a Registered Dietitian (RD).
  • The second step is the successful completion of an ACEND-accredited Dietetic Internship.
  • The third step is passing the national registration exam administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
  • The Didactic Program in Dietetics at Northeastern State University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606-6995; 312-899-5400.

What it takes to complete a B. S. in Nutritional Sciences from NSU. If you don’t complete your AA or AS at TCC, you will need to meet NSU’s specific general education requirements. You must have at least 124 hours completed to earn a bachelor’s degree. Of those hours, 60 must be from a university (4 year school), 40 must be junior and senior (3000/4000) level, and half of the hours in your major must be from NSU. You must also be both English and computer proficient. This means that you must pass English Composition I & II with a “C” or better and demonstrate computer proficiency (high school or college course work / test). Therefore, when you transfer to NSU, you will likely need to complete around 60 more hours in order to earn your Bachelor of Science degree.

General FAQs

Transferring to NSU is a seamless process. Although you can transfer to NSU at any time in your academic career, the smoothest transition occurs if you have earned or will earn an AA or AS from TCC. This milestone will also meet your general education requirements at NSU (unless it is a specific NSU requirement for you to graduate).

How do my Tulsa Community Colleges classes transfer to NSU? Every class you take at TCC will transfer to NSU. Each class counts in one of the following categories that make up a bachelor’s degree: general education, major, minor, or free elective. Minors (18 hours) are a coherent set of courses in a discipline or interdisciplinary grouping other than a student's degree program. Education programs do NOT require minors. Free electives can be selected from any academic area. They allow you to explore academic interests outside of your major while counting toward the 124 hours you need to graduate. If you completed a class at TCC that does not meet one of the other specific requirements, it will count as a free elective, up to the first 64 hours. If you complete more than 64 hours at the associate degree level, all courses will transfer to NSU, but only the first 64 hours will apply to your degree. You must have 60 hours from a four-year institution to meet state requirements for graduation with a baccalaureate degree.

When can you start taking NSU classes? You can begin taking classes at NSU while you are completing your AA or AS at TCC. This is called dual enrollment; many students do this each semester. Consult an NSU academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to see how dual enrollment can work for you.