Online Faculty Development
Online Faculty Development is a set of resources for faculty here at Northeastern State. These services and resources include professional development workshops focusing on Research, Scholarship, Service Learning, Immersive Learning, Technology Innovations, and Open Educational Resources.
OFD News & Updates
Visit the Workshop and Event Calendar for upcoming faculty workshops and training opportunities.
Congratulations to Michelle Farris, Dr. April Nelson, and Dr. Jason Proctor on getting their courses certified by Quality Matters!
"I learned so many things during the QM certification process that were immediately applicable to my courses. This will allow me to give my online students a better learning experience."
-Michelle Farris, Foundations of Organizational Leadership (ORG 3113)
"The QM certification process was a valuable opportunity to reflect on the course from a learner's perspective. The focus on alignment, accessibility, and transparency of course materials and activities provides a more consistent experience for the nursing students in this online class."
-Dr. April Nelson, Professional Nursing Role (NURS 3003), certified March 29, 2023.
"The QM process pushed me in several areas to improve my online instruction. First, to make the connections between my objectives, activities, and assessments clear for my students. Second, to ensure that all of my course materials were accessible to all learners. Lastly, to think about the how and why behind I would ask my students to engage with a particular piece of content or in a specific activity."
-Dr. Jason Proctor, Technology & 21st Century Learner (EDUC 4823), certified Monday, April 3, 2023.
Other QM Certifications:
1. Master_EDUC4823 Master EDUC 4823: TECHNOLOGY & 21st CEN LEARNER - Jason Proctor
2. NURS_3003 Professional Nursing Role/ NURS_3003_QM_Review - April Trenary
3. (30465.202230) Master_Span1113_Elem_SpI (Span. 1113: Elementary Spanish I - Arthur Wendorf
4. Master Shell ORG 3223 Professional Communication - Michelle Farris
5. SPED 4433 - Tamra Day
6. Master_EDUC5273_Motivation - Kari Henry Hulett
How you can get your courses Quality Matters Certified
Did you know that you can meet the content requirements for your discipline, but NOT meet the requirements of C-RAC , HLC, or the other governing bodies for online learning? Quality Matters ensures that you meet those requirements!
Did you know that Quality Matters is simply a certification process and that CTL will ensure your success! All interactions are confidential.
- Fill out the form here requesting QM Certification. Provide the CRN of the course you would like to certify. (The course needs to have been taught for two semesters.)
- CTL will contact you and ensure you have a QM Rubric workbook.
- CTL will make you a master shell in Blackboard, where all work will take place. Reviewers will go into the master shell, not a live course. No student data is retained in the Master Shell.
- You will go through your course to check that it fits the rubric making changes as needed. If you have questions or get stuck, CTL will help you.
- Let CTL know when you are ready for an Internal Review.
- CTL completes an Internal Review.
- CTL meets with the Course Representative (you) to go over the results of the Internal Review.
- The Course Representative and CTL will make a plan for the adjustments needed before submitting the course to QM for Review.
- A timeline will be agreed upon for when the adjustments will be completed.
- When adjustments are completed, CTL sets up the review with reviewers.
- There will be an initial conference call to start the review. If reviewers have questions during the review (usually about a 3-week time period) they will contact the Course Representative.
- When the review is complete, the Course Representative will receive feedback from the Reviewers. The Reviewers are required to provide multiple suggestions for all of the standards. These are optional changes, they do not indicate that a course was poorly done. The purpose is to provide collegial, helpful ideas that could be used in a course. Their feedback may also include revisions required before a course can be QM Certified. CTL will help you if needed.
- The Course Representative has 14 weeks to make the changes and re-submit for certification.
- The Quality Matters Review Team Chair then re-reviews the course after revisions are completed. Once the course has met QM Standards, a certification mark will be provided and the course listed in the QM registry.
- Special Note: For courses that have multiple instructors teaching the same course, once the instructor who has designed the course gets it certified, the other instructors can fill out a form showing that they changed the course less than 20% and they can receive the QM Certification mark as well. Contact CTL (918-444-5855 or email@example.com) for more information.
- The certification is tied both to the course and the instructor. Others can’t use the QM cert even if they teach the same course unless a form is filled out and submitted showing that less than 20% of the course has been changed
- A Professor who designs the course and submits it for a QM Review should receive the full stipend. If two Professors design a course and one of them submits it, they should split the stipend. Then, whoever didn’t submit the course should fill out the paperwork so that what they are teaching is also QM certified.