Appliance Repair Technician
This course explores the principles and basic concepts involved in major appliance operation, maintenance, diagnosis, and repair. Appliance repair specialists repair, adjust, and sometimes install electric and gas household appliances, such as refrigerators, washers, dryers, ovens, and other major residential appliances. These specialists must understand the use of hand and power tools, electricity and electronics, residential gas, and all related safety practices and devices in order to properly work on appliances in a safe and effective manner.
After the foundational concepts, this course explores in more depth several types of major appliances with hands-on experiences related to disassembly and reassembly of the appliance, troubleshooting and diagnosing common problems, repairing common malfunctions, and replacing components.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Itemize considerations for purchasing a major residential appliance.
- Explain the safety precautions required for major appliance troubleshooting, repair, and tool use.
- Demonstrate the safe and proper way to use selected hand and power tools.
- Explain the personal characteristics, soft skills, communication skills, and customer service skills required of the repair specialist.
- Discuss basic diagnosis and troubleshooting techniques.
- Explain basic electricity concepts and measurement procedures.
- Explain basic electronics concepts.
- Explain concepts related to operation of gas appliances.
- Explain basic principles related to air conditioning and refrigeration.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the EPA’s requirements for refrigerants as outlined in the EPA 608 standards.
- Identify the parts associated with electric and gas appliances, air conditioners, and electronic components.
- Discuss error and fault or function codes.
- Explain the operation, troubleshooting steps and considerations, and basic repair procedures for selected appliances.
After completing this program, learners will have the opportunity to take the leading national/industry-recognized certification exam(s) essential to entry-level employment in this fast-growing field.
Optional Volunteer Externship Opportunity
Students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an optional volunteer externship opportunity with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study in order to gain valuable hands-on experience. As students progress through their eLearning program, an Externship Coordinator will reach out to coordinate placement.
Note: Additional documentation including health records, immunizations, drug-screening, criminal background checks, etc. may be required by the externship facility.
- Dates: Open enrollment
- Time: 2-4 Months
- Location: Online
- Course Fee: $2599.00 USD
- Code: 01-PRO-TR-ON