Emergency Management and Planning Certificate
The Emergency Management and Planning courses count for academic credit and are designed to be incorporated into the NSU Certificate of Emergency Management and Planning.
For more information about degree requirements, visit the NSU catalog.
First 8 weeks
Cr J 3673 Emergency Management Skills (3 hours)
Cr J 4713 Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment (3 hours)
Second 8 weeks
Cr J 3613 Emergency and Disaster Planning (3 hours)
Cr J 4723 Exercise Design and Evaluation (3 hours)
Third 8 weeks
Cr J 4663 Disaster Response Operations and Management (3 hours)
Cr J 3663 Disaster Response and Recovery (3 hours)
Fourth 8 weeks
Cr J 3733 Crisis Communication for Emergency Managers (3 hours)
Cr J 4763 Information Technology and Emergency Operations Centers (3 hours)
For more information about this certificate program, visit our FAQ page.
Homeland Security & Emergency Management Student Organization and Honor Society
The Homeland Security & Emergency Management Student Organization and Honor Society is now available to join for any current NSU student majoring or minoring in Homeland Security, Homeland Security & Emergency Management, or students who are enrolled into the Certificate of Emergency Management & Planning program.
There are numerous benefits to joining the NSU HS & EM Student Organization:
- No cost or dues to join the Student Organization
- Student can be in any semester of their program to be a member
- Can attend our student organization meetings virtually at your convenience
- Looks excellent on a resume to potential employers
- Provides numerous leadership opportunities
- Builds friendships and a feeling of camaraderie
- Provides extensive professional and personal networking
- Provides opportunities to engage in scholarly research and other activities
- Provides opportunities to conduct NSU and community outreach
- Builds a student’s “soft skills”
- Provide opportunities to attend conferences and workshops relevant to Emergency Management and Homeland Security
Please click below if you would like to join the HS & EM Student Organization:
We are a Charter member of the “Order of the Sword & Shield Honor Society” and you are now able to apply for membership and to join the Honor Society!! That is so wonderful!! Upon acceptance, you will receive a certificate of membership, a wallet membership card, a badge and an Order of the Sword & Shield Honor Society adhesive decal for your automobile!! Additionally, you will be able to order Honor Chords to wear at your commencement ceremony! If you are interested in learning more about the Order of the Sword & Shield Honor Society or to join, please find the link below:
Below is a YouTube Video of Order of the Sword & Shield Honor Society:
Emergency Management Student Spotlight
Autumn works for Phillips 66 in Houston, TX as an Emergency Response specialist. Autumn plans and helps oversee emergency management for the company's global operations.