The Writer's Toolkit
Click on any of the links below to learn more about citing sources correctly, using grammar and punctuation effectively, and other writing issues.
Documentation Style Guides and Document Formatting
APA 7th edition
There are several official resources online to help you with APA:
MLA 9th edition
Planning, Writing, and Proofreading
The Writing Center has more than handouts and videos to help you with your writing needs. We also have a library called the "Resource Island" that houses many useful books for writers. You are welcome to use all of these books when you are in the Writing Center:
Style Manuals, Dictionaries, Thesauri
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Turabian manual)
- CSE Manual (Scientific Style & Format, 8th ed.)
- Longman Dictionary of American English (5th ed.)
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (8th ed.)
- Oxford Collocations Dictionary
- Oxford Phrasal Verbs Dictionary
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th ed.
- The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (for legal works)
- The Synonym Finder by J.L. Rodale
- A Pocket Style Manual, 5th ed., by Diana Hacker
- A Training Guide for College Tutors and Peer Educators by Sally Lipsky
- A Tutor's Guide: Helping Writers One to One, 2nd ed., edited by Ben Rafoth
- Bedford Guide for Writing Tutors, 5th ed.
- Engaging Grammar
- ESL Writers: A Guide for Writing Center Tutors, edited by Shanti Bruce and Ben Rafoth
- Handbook for Training Peer Tutors and Mentors, edited by Karen Agee and Russ Hodges
- Longman Guide to Peer Tutoring, 2nd ed.
- Mastering APA Style: Student's Workbook and Training Guide
- Painless Grammar
- The Least You Should Know about English: Writing Skills, 11th ed.
- The Online Writing Conference: A Guide for Teachers and Tutors
- The St. Martin's Sourcebook for Writing Tutors, 4th ed.
- Tutoring Writing: A Practical Guide for Conferences
- Understanding ESL Writers: A Guide for Teachers by Ilona Leki