Public Health Programs at Northeastern State University
Public Health Programs
Northeastern State University, one of the top-rated universities in the country, affords students with two opportunities to improve health outcomes through the specialized preparation and training of global health leaders; community outreach; and collaboration with community partners through careers in public health. While the didactic portion of our 43-credit hour MPH program is 100% online, students complete a 200-hour practicum in which they gain hands-on experience working directly with community partners. In 18 short months, students can complete a Master of Public Health (MPH) in two specializations:
- Global Health
- The concentration specific coursework focuses on global health policy, infectious disease, and issues impacting nutrition and food security on the national and international levels. Emphasis is given to addressing the health and well-being of culturally diverse populations.
- MPH Global Health Fall 2021-22 Start Course Sequence
- MPH Global Health Spring 2021-22 Start Course Sequence
- Public Health Leadership
- Concentration specific coursework focuses on the principles of public health leadership and organizational management and behavior. Emphasis is given to addressing the health and well-being of underprivileged populations.
- MPH Public Health Leadership Roadmap Fall 2021-22 Start Course Sequence
- MPH Public Health Leadership Roadmap Spring 2021-22 Start Course Sequence
A certificate in public health at NSU is the perfect option for students who want to acquire a solid foundation of knowledge in the field of public health but are unable to pursue a master’s degree. Having a certificate in public health prepares individuals for positions in clinics, hospitals, government agencies, and non-profit organizations that require advanced knowledge and practical skills beyond that of a bachelor’s degree.
NSU offers three embedded certificates:
- Public Health
- Global Health
- Public Health leadership
The Certificate in Public Health provides students with knowledge and skills in the core areas of public health including epidemiology, biostatistics, environmental health, social and behavioral health and administration/policy. For the Global Health and Public Health Leadership options students learn concentration specific knowledge and skills. In addition, most of our courses are 8 weeks in duration which allows full-time students to complete the certificate program within a year.
NSU is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health. The accreditation review will address the MPH in global health, an MPH in public health leadership, and a joint BS/MPH (BS in nutritional sciences – dietetics and MPH in either concentration). Other degrees and areas of study offered by this institution will not be included in the unit of accreditation review.
Criteria for admission into the Public Health program include:
- Possess an earned bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Apply and be formally admitted to Northeastern State University and the Graduate College.
- Official transcripts of all previous college coursework must be directly submitted by the institution where coursework was completed to the NSU Graduate College.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.0 scale.
- Submission of the MPH Program application packet.
NOTE: Only applicants who have submitted all required documentation by the application deadline will be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to request transcripts from previous universities. Transcripts must be sent directly from the institution attended to Northeastern State University, Graduate College Office, Tahlequah, Oklahoma, 74464. The priority application deadline for the fall admission is April 15th with a secondary deadline being July 15th. For spring admission the priority deadline is October 15th and the secondary deadline is December 15th.
DEGREE AVAILABLE AT
TRANSFERRING TO NSU?
GET AN EDUCATION CERTIFICATE WHILE EARNING YOUR MASTER'S
- Earn the certificate or stack the certificate courses to earn a master's degree
- Achieve essential skills for growth into a STEM leadership position
- Move into leadership or administrative roles