Public Health Programs at Northeastern State University
Public Health Programs
- Global Health
- The concentration specific coursework focuses on global health policy, infectious disease, and issues impacting nutrition and food security on the national and international levels. Emphasis is given to addressing the health and well-being of culturally diverse populations.
- MPH Global Health Fall 2021-22 Start Course Sequence
- MPH Global Health Spring 2021-22 Start Course Sequence
- Public Health Leadership
- Concentration specific coursework focuses on the principles of public health leadership and organizational management and behavior. Emphasis is given to addressing the health and well-being of underprivileged populations.
- MPH Public Health Leadership Roadmap Fall 2021-22 Start Course Sequence
- MPH Public Health Leadership Roadmap Spring 2021-22 Start Course Sequence
A certificate in public health at NSU is the perfect option for students who want to acquire a solid foundation of knowledge in the field of public health but are unable to pursue a master’s degree. Having a certificate in public health prepares individuals for positions in clinics, hospitals, government agencies, and non-profit organizations that require advanced knowledge and practical skills beyond that of a bachelor’s degree.
NSU offers three embedded certificates:
- Public Health
- Global Health
- Public Health leadership
The Certificate in Public Health provides students with knowledge and skills in the core areas of public health including epidemiology, biostatistics, environmental health, social and behavioral health and administration/policy. For the Global Health and Public Health Leadership options students learn concentration specific knowledge and skills. In addition, most of our courses are 8 weeks in duration which allows full-time students to complete the certificate program within a year.
NSU is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health. The accreditation review will address the MPH in global health, an MPH in public health leadership, and a joint BS/MPH (BS in nutritional sciences – dietetics and MPH in either concentration). Other degrees and areas of study offered by this institution will not be included in the unit of accreditation review.
NSU is an educational partner serving Northeastern, Southeastern, Northwestern, Southwestern, Central, and Eastern Oklahoma. Scholarships are available for students from Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, and Kansas.
Beyond the admission requirements for the Graduate College, admission to the Public Health, M.P.H. program requires:
- Possess an earned bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Apply and be formally admitted to Northeastern State University and the Graduate College.
- Official transcripts of all previous college coursework must be directly submitted
by the institution where coursework was completed to the NSU Graduate College.
- Conditional Program Admission: Applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.80 - 2.99 may be granted conditional admission. Students admitted conditionally must earn at least a "B" in each course of the first 9 hours attempted (as outlined on the program of study) to remain in the program and advance to regular admission.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion of all prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or better.
- Be in good standing with the college or university last or currently attending.
- World Education Services (WES) evaluation for all foreign coursework.
- International applicants must submit a TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 79 on the Internet-based test. Minimum IELTS score is 6.5.
- Submission of the MPH Program application packet.
NOTE: Only applicants who have submitted all required documentation by the application deadline will be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to request transcripts from previous universities. Transcripts must be sent directly from the institution attended to Northeastern State University, Graduate College Office, Tahlequah, Oklahoma, 74464. The priority application deadline for the fall admission is April 15th with a secondary deadline being July 15th. For spring admission the priority deadline is October 15th and the secondary deadline is December 15th.